I recently started this blog to show everyone more of me, of me the Filipino, gardener, cook, and much more. However, I find that I do not open up readily. I am trying! If each day is a visit to a therapist, I’ve paid a lot already and shared very little.
Holding a half full bottle of SOHO Lychee Liqueur on one hand, I played pretend and thanked the academy. I received an Honorable Mention from Food Wanderings, and as my friend Shulie wrote, “This honorable mention is an ode to her and the entire very inspiring Filipino foodie community!”
This post in return is for those who had noticed Filipino cuisine and experienced the warmth and kindness of Filipinos.
This recipe is adapted from Uncle Phaedrus, Consulting Detective and Finder of Lost Recipes. I would like to thank Gianna for sharing her recipe when I tweeted SOS (Silvanas or Sylvanas) via @FilipinoFood.
Please note that meringue will not be crisp after 15 minutes in the oven! I dried both trays for 1 hour at 170F.
- egg whites from 4 eggs
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cashew nuts (I used roasted salted Cashews from Costco)
Method to my Madness
- Combine flour and cashews in a food processor and chop until finely ground. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 300F and have two (2) flipped jelly roll sheets lined with silicone baking mats.
- Beat egg whites until stiff.
- Add sugar gradually and continue beating until meringue is glossy, but not dry.
- Fold in cashew-flour mixture.
- Spread meringue evenly on silicone mats and bake for 15 minutes.
- Pull out baking trays and reduce oven temperature to 170F.
- With a cookie cutter or drinking glass, cut out circles and return both trays to dry in the oven for an hour.
- Meringue disks should peel off easily once thoroughly cooled. Refrigerate before frosting.
- This is a reverse-macaron assembly: FLAT SIDE OUT, filled like a sandwich with buttercream, frosted top-bottom-side with buttercream and rolled in meringue crumbs or cake crumbs. I rolled them in finely ground cashew nuts. SERVE FROZEN and enjoy!