Well, my kids have spoken and my Twitter daughter who lives in Toronto said to me today, “Baking muffins depresses me because the tops do not rise like they do in bakeries.” What I did not tell @LalaPiggy was I thought of the same thing while watching my muffins to rise. You see, at the rate my muffins are baking, “Top of the Muffin to You!” is NOT happening; hence, I should follow Elaine’s advice and remove the exclamation point.
However, although these muffins did not have tops that spilled outside the liners, they turned out quite good and I do not regret at all using culinary orange blossom water in lieu of vanilla . I distinctly tasted orange-chocolate on my first bite, and bittersweet chocolate on my second. In the center, the raspberry married well with the moist muffin, and some bits oozed with melted bittersweet chocolate chips.
Below is the recipe for Double Chocolate Muffins with Orange Blossom Water adapted from Double Chocolate Muffins, Anuradha’s all time favorite recipe by Nigella Lawson.
These are muffins Rebecca De Mornay will approve of! Click here for nutrition facts.
- 125 g all purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 75 g chocolate chips (I used bittersweet chocolates)
- 87.5 g sugar
- 125 ml milk
- 45 ml vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp orange blossom water
- 1 pint raspberries
- Preheat oven to 390F (exact conversion is at 392F, but my oven won’t allow).
- Line muffin pan with liners. This is half recipe and will yield 8 muffins.
- Sift together dry ingredients in a mixing bowl except for the chocolate chips.
- In a smaller bowl mix the wet ingredients.
- Mix together, being careful not to over-mix. Divide runny batter equally between 8 muffins.
- Distribute chocolate chips accordingly.
- Top each muffin with two (2) raspberries. Three (3) if the berries are rather small.
- Bake for eighteen (18) minutes, check at sixteen (16).
- Serve remaining fresh raspberries.
Muffin Monday is an initiative by Baker Street. A culinary journey of sharing a wickedly delicious muffin recipe every week. Drop in a quick line to join her on her journey to make the world smile and beat glum Monday mornings week after week.
Muffin Monday Bakers
Thanks for stopping by, and come again real soon!